Thursday, August 27, 2009

First Day of Classes

Why am I here again... oh right, to study. Today served to remind all of us that this is in fact a real semester, full of real classes, with real exams and papers, and will be followed by real grades. Well... real-ish at least. Yes, DIS is much more intense than the typical study abroad program, but it certainly is not Smith, or any other competitive US school. The classes are going to be interesting, but without the same work load I am so used to at home. Which is probably going to be a nice break. But don't think it is all fun and games; I already have a couple hundred pages of reading assigned, some of which is done... but not all...

Enough of that complaining, I am honestly excited about classes. Here is a brief breakdown of my schedule:

1. Human Health and Disease: A Clinical Approach
This is my core course, and it is taught at the hospital. It is taught by two doctors, one of whom specializes in Neurology (yay!). But even better, the second is a pediatrician, specializing in infectious diseases. He has also done a lot of work in developing countries, and was the head of the Danish Red Cross for many years. He is AMAZING! Class today was essentially him throwing questions at us about health problems around the world, and then commenting on our responses, whether they were right or wrong. I am so excited to learn from him all semester, I think it will be an incredibly valuable experience. Oh, did I mention we are going to practice putting IVs in each other?! Yup yup, should be fun :)
2. Danish Language and Culture
Pretty self-explanatory: We learn enough Danish to be able to hold a basic conversation with Danes on the street. They are also teaching us about Danish culture, which as of right now means we get to go to the FCK soccer game on Sunday! They are playing their biggest rivals, and we were warned about what colors to wear to avoid violence from either side...
3. Neurobiology and Religion
Haven't had the rest of these classes yet, but this one is taught at the University of Copenhagen with Danish students. I cannot wait for it, and I would really like to design a class like this at Smith. Would any of you take it?
4.The Social Context of HIV/AIDS in Africa
Also taught at the University, I have already done a bunch of reading for the first class, and I am so happy to have a really good Public Health course like this. I really love looking at medicine from this angle; I think this course is only going to make me want to do an MPH even more!
5. The Impact of Epidemic Disease on European History
Yay! And that is all I have to say so far
6. Literary London: Reading the City
The class only meets for a couple of weeks, we read a bunch of stuff set in London by authors from the area, then go to London for a long weekend! What could possibly be wrong with that?

So yeah, some real classes, but no labs?! That is just weird for me.

In other news, I had the most epic lunch ever today. A giant (and I mean GIANT) veggie sandwich... it may be the most delicious thing I have ever eaten. Full of Indian spices, eggplant, peppers, carrots, pine nuts, I don't even know what all was one it. Oh, and the restaurant gives DIS students a discount, so even better!

Remember all those classes I listed? Yeah, that means I need to go do reading now.
I love and miss you all!!

1 comment:

  1. yotch i am so jealous! i started classes yesterday (wednesday) and while i love them they are nowhere near as awesome as yours. especially because they aren't in copenhagen! glad to hear you are loving it!

    ReplyDelete