Sunday, October 25, 2009

Seitan Ropa Vieja (aka "Vampire-Repelling Vegan Tribute to Julia Child")

I saw this recipe on the Isthmus website a few weeks back, and I have been meaning to try it since then. I finally managed to have seitan and a bottle of red wine at the same time, so I ran out to get the other ingredients, and made this wonderful creation the other night. The original recipe is here. I cut it in half, made a few changes with the spices based on what I had on hand, and added a little extra heat in the form of hot peppers! My cooking times varied too. Here is what I ended up with:

Seitan Ropa Vieja

1 Head of Garlic (yes HEAD, not clove)

Olive oil
1 Green Bell Pepper
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1 Onion

1 Tb Oregano
1 tsp Cayenne
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp. Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper
(feel free to use whatever spices you have on hand)

275 g Seitan, chopped into bite-sized pieces
400 g Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Cup Red Wine (I used an Argentina Malbec, since this is what I like to drink!)
2 Bay Leaves
1 Hot pepper, minced with the seeds (optional, but I think this was an excellent addition!)


1. Roast the garlic. To do this, cut both ends of the head, drizzle it with olive oil, wrap it in foil, and bake it at 375 F (190 C) for about 50 minutes, or until it is nice and soft.
Let it cool so you don't burn your fingers, then pop the individual cloves out, and mash them into a paste (a fork should work fine for this)

2. Start the olive oil heating in a large-ish pot (the whole stew will eventually be in it) over medium heat.

3. Slice your bell peppers and onion.

4. Once the oil is good and hot, add the peppers and onions. Cook until they are soft and starting to brown, around 15 minutes.

5. Add your mashed up garlic and spices. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.

6. Add everything else to the pot: seitan (chopped into bite-sized pieces), wine, tomatoes, bay leaves, and hot pepper (unless you are a weeny and not using one). I would suggest adding all the liquid from the tomatoes, otherwise you will need to add some liquid later in the cooking process.

7. Bring everything to a boil, then turn down to medium-low. Simmer for 45-60 minutes (mine as more like 60), partially covered. Add liquid if you need to (but you probably won't). Taste and adjust seasoning as you go!

I ate mine over a mix of leftover quinoa and brown rice, but you could certainly eat it with the grain of your choice!

With any luck, your will look like mine, or better! And by the way, it was completely and utterly delicious! This may be a new favorite!

No comments:

Post a Comment